The Blue Mountains offers a diverse range of landscapes, delicate close-up macro photography studies, remote valleys and gorges, plunging waterfalls, abundant bird life and opulent architecture left over from a bygone era.
Our tour starts with an early morning shoot of the towering crags from Everglades Gardens. The Jameson Valley lies below, blue with the hue from aerial haze washed in golden light.
Our program commences with a brief lesson on camera handling, colour profiling, file sizes. ISO and +/- exposure compensation. We stop for morning tea or coffee in the Everglades old spa hotel and a wonderful example of 1920's opulent grandeur, of tea dances and weekend retreats from another era.
We then have a brief walk on the Wentworth falls track, photographing waterfalls and close up nature shots. Its then a short drive to Mount Wilson. These private gardens are renowned for their year-round beauty; glorious rhododendrons, daffodils and carpeted meadows in spring, rich reds and golds in Autumn. In winter the sharp clean winter light is excellent for panoramic shots over the surrounding valleys.
• Sunrise over the Three Sisters and walk to the Golden staircase
• Historic village of Leura with a focus on shooting architecture, quaint shops and cafes
• Carrington Hotel and drinks in the Parragon cafe in Katoomba, shooting local characters
• A brief visit to the famous Hydro Majestic Hotel and railway station at Blackheath
• Mount Wilson with its lovely old buildings and historic gardens landscapes
• Wentworth Falls Overcliff track. Photographing waterfalls and birdlife
• Classic landscape photography over Valley of the Waters. How to handle light and contrast
• Gourmet food photopgraphy, architecture, landscapes, flowers, black and white, iphone apps
• Gourmet food, wine tasting, architecture, landscapes, flowers, black and white portraiture
• The Historic village of Leura(founded in 1830s). A focus on shooting architecture
• Katoomba: learning to shoot in low light interiors of the historic pubs
• Lookout from Cambewarra Mountain for panoramic shots
■ Our day program starts with the beautiful Everglades Gardens renowned for their year-round beauty - glorious rhododendrons and daffodils
■ A short drive brings us to historic and scenic Leura photographing village life
■ After lunch we capture the bygone era of the Carrington Hotel in Katoomba, an old spa hotel and a wonderful example of 1920's opulent grandeur
■ We then photograph the towering crags which form the Three Sisters
• Complete understanding of your DLSR, mirrorless, compact, smartphone or film camera functions
• Composition, light, viewpoint, angles, lens perspective
• Aperture, shutter speed, depth of field, ISO setting, white balance, exposure compensation
• Landscape photography throughout
• Flora photography in the Everglade Gardens
• Architecture photography of the historic villages of Leura
• Portraiture in Blackheath including black and white
• An insight into photographing for personal, stock, editorial and commercial use
Tour host/ instructor:
• Andrew Thomasson
• Meeting point: Everglades Gardens - (outside main entrance of the gift & ticket shop)
• Must be able to walk 2-3km on the day
• Detailed notes
• Transportation (or bring your own vehicle)
• Lunches, snacks etc.
• Driving from location to location and walking.
• You can use your own vehicle or we have room for 4 persons in our Merc wagon
• $100 Focus 10 gift voucher given to you on the day to use towards any other Focus 10 course