The definitive 'serious amateur and semi-professional' portrait photography course, indoor and outdoor settings.
The mark of a true portrait photographer is the ability to consistently produce high quality images - getting control of light is a combination of experience, expertise, instinct and that is what this course is all about. Its showing you different types of portraiture - from candid to formal, reportage to environmental, how to shoot babies, children, families, groups, friends. Learn to develop your style - whether this is creative and experimental, stylised or formal, shoot from the hip or paparazzi style, outdoors or in the controlled environment of an indoor setting.
Photographing people in all walks of life is hugely popular yet it is usually done poorly. We train you to recognise the quality and direction of the light, to implement creative composition, to understand poses, backdrops, lens perspective, colour cast, to make your subject relax, to look for unusual locations, to come up with new ideas, angles, viewpoints - to shoot for dramatic impact or to flatter your subject with a dreamy, ethereal quality to the image.
This portraiture course is taught in conjunction with Focus 10 Photography and is also run in Sydney and Melbourne. We will impart a high level of proficiency to the serious amateur photographer or to someone considering a career in portrait photography. You will be confident to shoot at a professional level. It assumes a proficiency in digital camera handling and technical knowledge. Ideally you will have completed our Digital 1 course or be able to demonstrate a similar level of competency. The group will be limited to a maximum of 8 people for a highly personalised training experience.
You will learn how to shoot natural light portraiture photography. The appropriate selection of camera gear is an important component to this course which we will tailor to your individual requirements. Your instructors are professional portrait and wedding photographers and you can draw upon that accumulated knowledge throughout.
• Learn how to use every feature on your digital camera to the full
• Knowledge on the best camera/lens combinations for portraiture work
• Get unbiased advice on what camera gear is best suited for your needs and budget
• To recognise the quality and direction of light
• Advanced tips on setting up portrait shots
• How to create a mini portrait studio in your own home
• How to shoot weddings and corporate
• Fast track your technical and artistic skills
• Small groups (8 persons maximum)
• Souvenir portraits
• A professional portfolio taken by yourself
WHAT THE COURSE COVERS:
• Advanced digital SLR camera functions
• Choice of lenses, accessories and props
• Accessories, props, reflectors
• Body positioning / eyes / noses /hands
• Exposure bracketing, compensation and ISO
• Channels & parameters, colour temperature
• Creative use of depth of field
• Black and white portraiture
• Reportage, documentary formal, candid, environmental, stylised, point n’ shoot
• Photographing babies, children, adults, groups, weddings, corporate, fashion
• Skin tones, reflections, white balance
• Unusual viewpoints & tilting / lens and linear perspective
• High contrast / colour harmony / blurring / freezing of motion / conveying movement
• Unusual locations, attractive clothing, interesting accessories
• Planning: weather, location, time of day/season
• Getting your models, make up / hairstylists
• Operation of external flash unit, rear / 2nd curtain synch flash
• Night portraits / use of fast prime lenses
• Model releases, technicalities, copyright
• Brief post production coverage including, iphoto, Aperture 3, Adobe Lightroom 5/6
Serena Pearce and/or Andrew Thomasson
Beginners Photography course (or equivalent) or a sound grasp of photography - (an email test can be provided if you are unsure).
Start time : 9:00 am
Finish time : 1:00 pm
Meet at : Little Creatures Brewery - 40 Mews Rd Fremantle
• Instruction from professional photographers
• Detailed notes
• Camera, lens and accessory shopping service
• Free portraits
• Personal assessment and critique of your portfolio
• Certificate of completion (on request)
Learn Adobe Lightroom 6/CC - the software leading photographers use to manage their photos.
The perfect 'all rounder' course for travellers using any camera.
Hone your skills in photographing in low light around Fremantle.
A superlative weekend to expand your photographic repertoire whilst having fun!
WILDLIFE & NATURE PHOTOGRAPHY COURSE AT PERTH ZOO / 4 HOURS / $150
The digital camera is now considered an essential tool for estate agents, architects, designers, professionals and travellers who take interior and exterior photos of buildings.
A 2-day travel photography course in Perth & Fremantle, WA.
1-day beginners photography course in Perth, WA.
Intermediate photography course at Perth Zoo & Kings Park, Perth.
Photographing unique locations in beautiful Fremantle & The Swan Valley with custom workshops over 2 days
Architecture & real estate photography course in Perth
This comprehensive 2 day Real Estate and Architectural photography course provides a clear path for the entry-level to advanced.